During the cold and snowy winter months it is a tradition in Finland to prepare glögi, similar to mulled wine or gluhwein, with red wine and spices such as cloves, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. I wanted to try a twist on the traditional glögi for my family who are not too keen on it, so I opted for a hot aperol. And it was a success!
prep time 15 min
ingredients for 6
- 2 oranges
- 5 dl semi sweet or sweet white wine
- 5 dl aperol
- 1 bag (25 g) of mixed spices for glögi (or use cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick and ginger)
1. Wash the oranges. Peel only the outer portion of one orange (avoid the pith) and put the peels in a small pot. Halve the orange and add also the juice to the pot. Slice the other orange.
2. Measure the wine and aperol to the pot and add the spices. Warm slowly on low heat for about 15 min.
3. Pour into cups or glasses and garnish with orange slices and a few cloves.