I love all kinds of apple desserts. And apples are available all year round. This is a very easy apple pie recipe given to me by my son-in-law. I’ve made it many times and it never fails. When baking this cake or any any dessert with apples, such as apple crisp or apple pie, it’s important to use apples suitable for baking. Baking apples hold their shape when cooked, so the chunks of fruit won’t turn into applesauce in the oven. Tart-sweet varietals such as Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Pink Lady, Braeburn, and Jonagold are all great options. Feel free to combine different varieties for a more nuanced flavor
PREP TIME 10 MIN COOK TIME 50-60 MIN
- 500g apples of your choice
- 200g flour
- 140g sugar
- 75g butter, melt and let cool
- 2 eggs
- 150ml milk
- 16g baking powder
- dash of salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- dash of sugar and cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and flour a 22-24cm springform pan.
- In a large bowl cream together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift the baking powder into the flour and add salt. Add the flour and the liquids (milk with the melted butter) to the batter in a few batches folding with a rubber spatula.
- Fold in 3/4 of the peeled and diced apples (slice 1/4 of the apples) and the zest of lemon.
- Pour into the baking pan. Add the remaining apple slices in a circle on top of the batter and sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Bake at 180C for 50-60 min until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool and move to a serving plate.